Hello, Miami! I’m here in your inbox per usual to get you caught up on everything you need to know about what’s going on in town. Let’s do this…
First, today’s weather:
A stray afternoon t-storm. High: 90 Low: 79.
👀 Attention local businesses & marketers: Attract more customers in Miami by sponsoring this daily newsletter, which gets read by the same people you’re trying to reach. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories in Miami today:
1. Footage from a Brickell hotel in August 2021 shows that an off-duty Miami police sergeant, Sgt. Thomas Murray, caused more than $1,400 worth of damage to an automated parking machine in a drunken rage. Murray could have faced criminal charges for the damage, but only received 80-hour suspension hours after his police union came to his defense and had the hotel agree to drop charges in exchange for payment. (WPLG Local 10)
2. The Miami Heat organization is planning to retire LeBron James’ number 6 jersey. James not only won two of his championships in Miami, but also won 2 NBA MVP’s in South Florida. No Miami Heat player is wearing the number 6 jersey at this time. (All Lakers)
3. Police are investigating an occupied burglary at South Beach restaurant, Mickey Burkes, located at the 1200 block of Washington Avenue. The incident occurred on Friday night at around 10:30 p.m. Anyone with information is asked to contact authorities. (WSVN)
4. The Miami Dolphins took down the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in their first pre-season game. Quarterback Skylar Thompson was able to start while starter Tua Tagovailoa had the night off. Miami will face the Las Vegas Raiders on Saturday, August 20 at home. (NBC Miami)
5. The Florida Sheriffs Association (FSA) is suing Miami-Dade County to force the county to comply with the takeover of a new Sheriff of the county police department. The complaint, filed August 10, states the county is violating a constitutional amendment voters passed in 2018. The county police department currently operates under Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava. (Florida Politics)
Today in Miami:
- Massage Candle Workshop – Little Havana at Alabao. (10:30 a.m.)
- Color Your Cares Away at Allapattah Branch Library. (11:30 a.m.)
- Weekday Hoppy Hour at Dogfish Head Miami. (4 p.m.)
- Mellow Mood Mondays at The Anderson. (5 p.m.)
- Rock Star Karaoke at Clevelander South Beach Hotel And Bar. (8 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- A possible lightning strike sparked a fire at several North Lauderdale townhomes on Saturday afternoon. (WPLG Local 10)
- Police are investigating a fatal crash that happened Sunday morning on I-95 near the exit for Hollywood Boulevard. A pedestrian on the highway for unknown reasons was pronounced dead at the scene. (WPLG Local 10)
- A Miami-based wealth management and multi-family office advisory firm, Element Pointe Advisors, is planning to double its workforce of advisors and recently signed a lease for a larger office space. (Subscription: South Florida Business Journal)
- Miami-Dade Schools will continue to encourage parents to keep their kids at home if they have flu-like symptoms. It will also keep notifying people if they have had a close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. (Twitter)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Breast Ultrasound Screening Coming Direct to You! (August 17)
- Topic: M and D Travel – Dream Vacations | Virgin Voyages Virtual Cruise Night – Wednesday, August 17 (August 17)
- Online Webinar with specialists for Invisalign in North Miami, FL (August 17)
- Add your event
Thanks for following along and staying informed. See you all tomorrow morning for another update!
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Miami Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org